Recently, I came up with what I believe is a good idea for a new year’s resolution. I think it would be great to have a crude understanding of all the countries in the world. Things that are important to know that define a country and things that you specifically are interested in. For example, here are some of the questions that I would like to know the answers for each country,
- What do people value the most?
- What kind of government do they have?
- What does their government spend most of the money on?
- How much tax do people pay?
- How poor or rich (GDP, PPP) the country is?
- How much scientific research is funded by the government?
- How religious is the country?
- What’s their history?
- Their geographical location and how does it affect the people there?
Did you know there are only about 190 countries in the world? Even if you study a country every two days, you would be done in about a year. Imagine how much more knowledgable your future self in a year would be. You would be able to understand the world news and relate to people so much better. Your entire perspective of how you view the world could change. You might start enjoying participating in discussions that otherwise seem annoying and boring.
And then finally you would be in a perfect place to fantasize about your ideal country. Given you have the power, what sort of country would you like to set up?